Saturday, November 1, 2008

Genghis Khan Comparison - Part III (Religion)

Although "Mongol" - in terms of religion - violates the first commandment of the Bible, it actually provides a good example for how Christ followers should live out for God. "'You shall have no there gods before me." - Exodus 20:3.

In the beginning of the movie, it has many instances where the religion of the Mongols is shown. For one, there is the belief that the Mongolian God - Tengri - forces lightning upon the Earth when he is angry, and that phrase and section of the movie is used throughout as it eventually made Temudgin fearless of the thunder.

Another aspect of their religion that was honestly striking to me was the Sacred Mountain prayer. When Temudgin was around 10 years old, he was held captive by rival tribes, and by night he escaped, travelling thousands of miles to reach that one location so he could pray that he'd be set free. The reason this was so striking to me was that as I compared Christianity to their religion, I noticed how they seemed to go [far] for their god. In some ways it is sad to think they have to travel so far to worship and pray, when we know God is everywhere at all times, and He hears our prayers no matter where we are. But the thing that made me question my faith was this: "Would I travel thousands of miles while walking in chains just for God's will?"

And I know it is easier said than done, because of course we could say "Yes, I would go for you," but I'm sure with the American culture, we'd rather sit and watch TV rather take a thousand-mile hike for Christ. I don't want to discourage anyone reading this, but just think about how strong your faith is - in all areas.

Do you read your Bible - often? Do you pray - often? Are you willing to apply a resemblance of Jesus into your life? Are you willing to follow God's laws and principles? Would you travel one thousand miles if God told you to? Consider this in a real perspective, because even if you said yes to every subject area, there is always improvement that can be made, and that goes for me too. We can always go further in our faith, there is no end, because God is endless.

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." - 1 Peter 2:21.

No comments: