Thursday, October 9, 2008

God's Purpose - Part II

Today was good to me. Nothing vastly special came abrupt, but here is how it ran. I woke up at 5:30 - as I do every morning - and due to the clouds, I couldn't pull out my telescope and do astronomy, hence I took a nice long jog in the pitch black. Around 6:45 I arrived at Main Street Java to teach a lesson to an awesome group known as FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). The lesson went well and I was suprised by the number of people that showed up. And it was that night that I went out to my Old Testament course at Biblical Seminary, only to learn more about Yahweh and his creations.

In correlation to God's purpose, I think I will write about what God spoke to me today - leadership. Leadership - it's a very blatant topic. Often used in society, but one thing I wanted to do was see what the "definition" was. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as "the capacity to lead." The Encarta Dictionary defines it as "the ability to guide, direct, or influence people." Of course there is no wrong answer to this - it came out of a dictionary anyways - but I believe that there are [many] different traits of a leader and that God created everyone for a diffent purpose, in which everyone will lead in different yet similar ways.

For instance, take it as the analogy Jesus gives in Matthew 5:14-16: "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." That's how we - as humans - must act too. Why should we shelter ourselves when we have a message - the Gospel - in which it needs to be shared to this dark world. That's what Jesus was saying, we should be a light in a dark world, to provide leadership and guidance to the ones who need it and to provide an example of what Jesus would want. To shine our lights, we must live like Jesus, not only contemplate it, not only speak about it, but live on it. Make that our establishment for what we do in our God-given calling. God has called us to many different things, whether it is to be a scientist someday, or to be a College Football player, or to work in the business field; whatever it is use it for God, because in the end, to live a life like Christ will never lead to regrets. It may lead to struggle and hardships, but never will it lead to regrets. Because God is what it means to have true satisfaction.

"'...but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'" - John 4:14

1 comment:

Luke said...

Very cool John, I listened to your message at Main St. Java and it was very clear to me that you had a real passion for what you were doing and also a gift, so thank you for using it to share the gospel, you're a challenge and encouragement to me.

God's taught me some things about leadership over the summer. The main thing came through the lead singer of the band "tenth avenue north", Mike, who said "There's too many leaders, and not enough servants". That really hit me deep in my soul and I came to realize that the main purpose of a leader is to stand before a group of people and lead them, but at the same time the leader must have a heart that washes his follower's feet in service.

It's very obvious to me that you feel God's call to leadership, and It's easy for me to see a lot of potential in you for that, so Praise God man, keep serving.

-Luke Damiani