Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lamentation in Prayers

For one, society has always been humble and prideful, because we all want others to believe that we are selfless and live for the care of others. On the other hand we also strive in life to improve ourselves, internally feeling the greater impact should be used for our lives. I find it really hard to apply selflessness to our lives in a greed-saturated society, and in that sense it also relates to our relationships and how our willingness to be there for others is really intact.

In friendships, there are humble and prideful acts involved no matter who you may be friends with. You are going to want a close and deep relationship with them and at the same time care for them beyond what you could imagine. But there is also a sense of trust involved - as everyone knows. But put this in perspective: you may have very close friends - possibly a handful to only a few - and only select the ones - in your mind - that you could tell [anything] to. And in this manner that you could tell them [anything] in [any way.] Most likely, the ones in your mind that you could tell anything to are the ones you are closest to. Reason is that you could tell them how your day is going, or how much you hate school, or how much you need help in your walk with Christ, or even show anguish to them through what your emotions are. That's the way Christ wants it to be with us.

God doesn't want us to pray in the kindest manner possible, in attempt to be humble. He is a big God and I am sure that He can see our thoughts, and that is how we have to apply our prays to Him. If ever you are faced with anguish, yell it to God, show Him your problems and concerns, because He is the one who can always give you a definite answer - every time.

So just like you can show your emotions to your close friends, be able to present those feelings to God too. He desires a relationship with all of us, and if we can learn to not just pray with selflessness but honesty, we will feel closer to Him simply through the way we address our prayers.

"How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and everyday have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say 'I have overcome him,' and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me." - Psalm 13

1 comment:

Luke said...

That's very true. Sometimes I get into a funk where my prayers are not from my heart but from habit. Sometimes I pray and the words that are coming out of my mouth don't match wherever my mind has decided to wander. For me this completely kills any honesty in my prayer and I become simply a noisy gong I think. It's refreshing to pray with honesty about the things that are really plaguing me so I can have a clear mind to pray about the other stuff.

Thanks John!