Saturday, November 1, 2008

Genghis Khan Comparison - Part I

I apologize to everyone for not posting anything for an elongated period of time. I've been real busy lately and I know that is no excuse but I'll try to be more consistent from now on.
.
I just got done watching this movie called "Mongol." I got interested in it merely because it had an Academy Award Nomination. But after looking at it from a more logical and spiritual viewpoint, I think the movie turned out to be a great one when comparing to our lives as Christians.
.
With a story alike Braveheart, it portrays the historical biography of the legendary and violent Genghis Khan. Words such as "legendary" and "violent" are most likely what comes to mind to the average-knowledged person on Khan - that's what I thought of anyways. But after seeing the movie, Khan could be described more as "blessed," "merciful," or "determined." The biography displays his life events that led up to his power, beginning with his father allowing him to choose his wife - at age 9 - and from there, Khan - who at first was called Temudgin - became an enemy of other Mongol tribes through the tragic death of his father. This was the reason why Temudgin spent most of his childhood simply running through mountains and deserts escaping the savage Mongols - because at the time there were many rival tribes. After years of running, he went through a series of captures and escapes from certain tribes, and all he would do was run either to family or the Sacred Mountain of Prayer, where he would pray to his God, Tengri. He eventually returned to his soon-to-be wife and lived with her, all for getting captured two more times until he rose to power through a series of battles, sacrifices and movements. One other important part of Khan's life was his informal brother, Jamukha, in which they shared a special friendship for most of their lives, until the mid-part of their lives when tension became of them, creating a rivalry between Khan and Jamukha. [Spoiler Alert] The ending of the movie though has a very redemptive message which I think we can apply to our lives as Christians. Temudgin - who then is named Khan - has the opportunity to execute his brother, but he not only lets him live but also lets him go. This displays the mercy Khan truly had.
.
So what I'm going to do with a few more posts is put up ideas and messages that were presented in this movie and relate to how we can apply them to our lives, because even though there is a huge cultural difference between then and now, God never changes and that is why righteousness will never alter from what is good and bad.
.
"...But You remain the same, and Your years will never end."
- Hebrews 1:12 b.

2 comments:

tibblesnbits said...

Hmmm that's really interesting. Drawing comparisons like that are pretty profound, but here's a question I have for you. Did the Christian elements you saw in the movie out weigh the negatives? For example, did this movie contain anything that might cause you to stumble in your walk with Him that you had to slug through to get to the good parts? I've really been trying to live with a heavenly perspective more and more and movies and music that could cause me to stumble are things that I have been trying to eliminate so that nothing could possibly come between God and I. I'm looking forward to you next post though! Sorry it took me a while to comment, I promise to be more proficient in the future. I'm working on a new blog post right now so look for it in the next day or so!

John A. Leman said...

We can discuss this later, but there were actually a few conflict-related points that I saw, but like I said, I'll chat to you about that sometime.